What Is Loestrin 1.5/30?
Loestrin 1.5/30 is a brand name birth control pill containing norethindrone acetate (1.5 mg) and ethinyl estradiol (0.03 mg). It is also sold under the names Microgestin 1.5/30, Junel 1.5/30, Larin 1.5/30, and Gildess 1.5/30.
It’s a combination birth control because it contains two different hormones. It’s subclassified as “mono-phasic” because the balance of active ingredients remain the same throughout the cycle.
Inactive pills taken during the last week of the menstrual cycle are reminders to support the habit of taking a pill daily.
How Does Loestrin Prevent Pregnancy?
Similar to other combination birth control pills, the active ingredients norethindrone acetate and ethinyl estradiol prevent pregnancy in three ways:
- The main mechanic of action is to inhibit ovulation
- Next, the hormones norethindrone acetate and ethinyl estradiol thicken cervical mucus making it difficult for sperm to reach the egg.
- Lastly, the pill inhibits the egg from attaching to the uterine lining.
What Are Off-label Uses For Loestrin 1.5/30?
- Treat absence of menstrual periods (Amenorrhea)
- Treat Acne in adults and children as young as 15
- Inhibit abnormally long or heavy periods (Menorrhagia)
- Help prevent disease of ovaries with cysts
- Reduce painful periods (Dysmenorrhea)
- Prevent abnormal bleeding from the uterus
- Treat PMDD
To ensure that we provide you with the best price, we may substitute one generic for another.